Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-Cart Hosting
 Sites hogging memory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ronnie
VP-CART New User

Australia
52 Posts

Posted - July 19 2010 :  17:44:53  Show Profile  Visit Ronnie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's an examples of some of the VPASP hosting issues we have:

Our site which has live chat monitor on it always has 40-80k of memory useage. I can see there are no customers on it and I know that we're not using the backend but there it is all the time 40-80k even when I manually recycle the application pool it just jumps up again

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks
Ian Reynolds
Ian Reynolds Projects
Winning On The Web

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - July 20 2010 :  04:54:59  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Ronnie,

I think this is normal. Sites even with no user on it will always be using a minimal amount of memory. This is so that the server can immediately bring the site up when visited. 40-80 K seems to be very little amount of memory used as well or did you actually mean 40 - 80 MB ?

When you recycled the application pool, I assume the memory will drop to 0 and then slowly rise up ?

Also, even after a customer has left the site, their session is generally still active and will usually be removed from the memory after it has idled long enough according to your IIS Session idle timeout setting. Try not to set this to too long if possible. We generally set this to 20 - 30 minutes.

Thank you.

Frank
VPASP Support

Go to Top of Page

Ronnie
VP-CART New User

Australia
52 Posts

Posted - July 20 2010 :  05:08:49  Show Profile  Visit Ronnie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank
Sorry meant 40-80 Megs
Seems to me that you can only host 20 or so VPASP sites on one server in that case. Busy sites that is.

Thanks
Ian Reynolds
Ian Reynolds Projects
Winning On The Web
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - July 20 2010 :  07:56:06  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Ian,

We limit our servers to 100 sites using VPASP. Once you make the adjustments as per the sticky post in this section it does all run nicely.

One thing though, when a VPASP 7.0 site is not being visited it does drop back to 0 after the session eventually clears.

Earlier versions do tend to hang on longer but these too will drop off the list. Unless of course there is an open connection.

What live chat software are you running?

We have stated using Comm100 which so far has been very easy to use and is a free hosted solution so no stress on the server.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp
Go to Top of Page

Ronnie
VP-CART New User

Australia
52 Posts

Posted - July 31 2010 :  23:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Ronnie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apologies for being so long replying.

For live chat we use Boldchat and it's excellent and everything resides on their servers.

We use VPS's with 750MB RAM and at present are limiting VPASP sites to 20 per VPS.

I have just reset the Recylcle Worker Processes to 20 mins on one of them.Immediatley lost 200MB out of RAM. I am going to monitor this VPS and see if it makes a real difference.

Thanks
Ian Reynolds
Ian Reynolds Projects
Winning On The Web
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00