Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-Cart Hosting
 session timeout problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - July 09 2010 :  15:49:09  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm having big session timeout problems on my V7 site. I have xsessiontimeout set to 30 (30 minutes), but if I populate a cart with a few items and then leave the cart alone for only 5 minutes or so, when adding another item, the cart is now empty.

I have cookies enabled and am not clearing my cache. Any thoughts?

I have had multiple customers using multiple browsers complain about this in the last week.

Chris

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - July 10 2010 :  02:59:38  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris,

xsessiontimeout is now redundant.

You need to ask your host to extend the default timeout for your application pool from 5 minutes to 20 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp
Go to Top of Page

Ronnie
VP-CART New User

Australia
52 Posts

Posted - July 10 2010 :  23:15:39  Show Profile  Visit Ronnie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cam this is useful for the hosting forum.

We have about 20 live v7.0 sites and don't have this issue.
The control panel however is a nightmare to use because of this.

Thanks
Ian Reynolds
Ian Reynolds Projects
Winning On The Web
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - July 11 2010 :  01:28:01  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Ian,

Good idea.

You have the issue after you have changed the default timeout in IIS?

I am not exactly sure what you mean?

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
Go to Top of Page

infoworkz
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - June 17 2014 :  14:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the exact same problem. I have vpasp 7 hosted on IIS6. The session timeout settings have been set to 60mins on the hosted website properties. No matter what, if I add items to the cart and checkout, the cart items will disappear within 5 mins.

In addition to increasing the asp session timeout settings under the property of the website,
I adjusted the application pool settings. I created a copy of the default app pool so that the vpasp website would have its own dedicated app pool and not the defaultpool which is shared by other sites. I went to the website properties and assigned the new app pool to the site. I then went to application pools and increased the time under the selected pool name. Here is a good resource:

http://help.catchsoftware.com/display/ET/Application+Pool+Timeouts

Also, on page 382 of the VP-ASP user manual, it mentions enabling database sessions, which is not enabled by default:

xsavesession Setting this to Yes to replace session with Database sessions.
You need to set this from config file shop$config.asp located in the
“config” folder and “admin/config” folder.
To change this, follow these steps below :
7. Open file shop$config.asp in the folders mentioned
above.
8. Locate this code below :
const xsavesession="No"
9. Please replace with :
const xsavesession="Yes"
10. Save and upload to the folders.

My sessions are now being stored in the database, which gives the browser a reference of cart contents should something else cause the session to act up.

Just make sure that you restart IIS for the changes to take effect. Good Luck!

Edited by - infoworkz on June 18 2014 10:40:40
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - June 17 2014 :  22:44:21  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

Thanks for following this up. i had just jumped on to see if I could help out and saw you had edited your ticket.

Appreciate the tip!

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:

Go to Top of Page

serjtankian
VP-CART Super User

Armenia
378 Posts

Posted - June 18 2014 :  08:08:22  Show Profile  Visit serjtankian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by infoworkz

I had the exact same problem. I have vpasp 7 hosted on IIS6. The session timeout settings have been set to 60mins on the hosted website properties. No matter what, if I add items to the cart and checkout, the cart items will disappear within 5 mins.

In addition to increasing the asp session timeout settings under the property of the website,
I adjusted the application pool settings. I created a copy of the default app pool so that the vpasp website would have its own dedicated app pool and not the defaultpool which is shared by other sites. I went to the website properties and assigned the new app pool to the site. I then went to application pools and increased the time under the selected pool name. Here is a good resource:

http://help.catchsoftware.com/display/ET/Application+Pool+Timeouts

Just make sure that you restart IIS for the changes to take effect. Good Luck!

nice tips ! thanks !

*serj*
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00