Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.00 Questions
 excel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

darrin
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - September 20 2007 :  16:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I export the products from the cart in excel and import it back with updated info on it, or added fields?
Can I choose to have some items use the inventory control and others not too? Example.....one product may be kept in stock, so I would like to use the cstock field and have the stock subtracked when ordered, others I drop ship, so I don't want the cstock to change. Those are the main 2 questions.

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - September 21 2007 :  04:39:58  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Darrin,

You certainly can export data from the cart through the Administration Console.

You can export and import for that matter any field from any table.

Export the file as a CSV, make your changes and then re-import to bulk update your data.

You can have get around stock control for some products by setting their stock levels to be 9999.

Hope this helps!

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

darrin
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - September 22 2007 :  02:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam, thanks for the note.....I am still lost. I have tried to find what you are talking about. Can you help me step by step. Can this file be exported to my desktop, or does it have to be online some where.....all I really want to do is export the whole product database and add items to it, edit others and delete some. Very confused! Is there a way I can call you, or chat online somehow...MSN perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - September 22 2007 :  07:12:52  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Darrin

Getting it right the first time is a bit of a battle. The following 2 FAQ's may hel with the process.

https://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shopexd.asp?id=732#732
https://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shopexd.asp?id=885#885

Another great tip is Simons from BYZ re changing the delimiter to a TAB format. i dont have the url for that handy but Simon may be able to add it here?

If you are still struggling please feel free to post a ticket in our online help desk and i will have a look in more detail for you there.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 22 2007 :  11:49:58  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yep; we've got 2 relevant help topics/pages on this front....

How can I import tab-separated files in vpasp? -
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/support/issue_view.asp?ID=442

How can I import products using multiple categories/branches?
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/support/issue_view.asp?ID=224

Something to be careful about if using excel to edit/save the files is that excel will change the raw values of date/time fields to fit your local format, which may or may not be the same as an acceptable format for your database/import.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on September 22 2007 11:51:09
Go to Top of Page

darrin
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - September 23 2007 :  22:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thank everyone for the help.........but I am still quite confused on how to go about doing all of this. I am not a programmer......All I want to do is have an excel spreadsheet with all of my products on it,
that I can edit on a regular basis. I want to be able to import and
export it to my computer on a daily basis. Is this possible to do?
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 23 2007 :  23:35:32  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's definitely possible to do, even with default vpasp (ie no real customisations would need to be made) - it's just a case of finalising the exact steps that match what kind of data your site uses in terms of things like product features and categories; every site uses things in a slightly different way so there's not really a definitive set of rules for exactly what you'd put in each column; it'll depend on your own site. but exporting existing products that you've setup via admin, and then using that as your spreadsheet starting point is a good initial base to work on.

as per cam's posting, getting it right for your first load so that your sheet matches your site's data/structure is the key to it; once you've finalised the steps subsequent loads will just be a case of pressing a couple of buttons

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on September 23 2007 23:40:20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000