Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Search Engine Optimisation
 SEO .. is this my imagination ? ( Metas )
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - July 19 2007 :  16:13:21  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess no one is really interested in discussing this. I find it amazing considering getting your info listed in the search engines should be the high priority for you. Like I said before, anyone can throw up a cart. Very few can make them bring traffic and sales. I have spent a good solid two years on making the vp-asp 4.5 version seo perfect. My reward, over 400,000 hits per day with many online sales. We are far ahead of our competitors. If you are not working on seo stuff, then you are missing the most important part of running websites.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - July 19 2007 :  17:51:14  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I reckon the best thing seo-wise for the urls is to have specific files rather than arguments, eg:
sony-plasma-tvs.asp
but, maybe the title (and possibly even the text on the page) and meta tags might be more important than that aspect.
I suppose that if you do everything that google likes then you'd rocket up the rankings, but it seems to be a moving-goalpost situation regarding which aspects google likes the most.

so, I guess that if you do everything that google likes then you'd get a great ranking, but as to how much time/money it's best to spend on each aspect, that seems to be a grey area.

I think that one thing which google hates more than anything else is duplicate pages (identical content but different url/links), so that's definitely something to avoid.

Anyway; on the subject of having nice google-friendly urls, have a look at this:

Demo:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/aspgendemo/products/default.asp
(see how the links on all the pages within that area point to nice friendly subfolders and filenames; marvellous!)

VPASP Search Engine Friendly Page Generator:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=138

And here's a similar one for content pages:

VP-ASP Content Management Enhancements:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=125

Those, plus the keyword tools mentioned on the first page should do wonders for seo, also there's the feeds/sitemap stuff too....

VP-ASP (V4.5/V5/V5.5/V6/V6.5) KeyWord Administration Tools:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=150

VP-ASP Data Feed Bundle (Google-Base and Yahoo) :
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=78

VP-ASP Data Feed For Shopping.com:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=79

VP-ASP Google SiteMap Generator:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=118

maybe that's just seen as a shameless plug, but they're all highly relevant to the topic.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on July 19 2007 18:03:45
Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - July 20 2007 :  10:39:24  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
haha, yes a totaly shamless plug!

Sure the bar moves, but you have to chase it. I know there is a bigg difference in - and + and _. Google seems to ignore the _ and will take the url as keywords.

The magic is to get a search term in the title, meta desctription. keyword, page content and url.

If you hit them all you go to the top. SInce we have so many pages, we have top placement in hunderds of search terms. I watch it constantly and adjust as needed.

One thing google absolutly likes, it changing pages. If you do not update your pages, you will drop out if the index. We change our site about every 4-6 months depending on out traffic flow. It does take a ton of timem but it really works.
Go to Top of Page

Web Host
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - July 20 2007 :  11:17:34  Show Profile  Visit Web Host's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The other big thing to help getting up the ranking is getting directories and other peoples websites to link to you. You need to look popular to Google in order for them to push you further up their list.
Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - July 20 2007 :  12:15:14  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have heard that before, but it doesnt make a lot of sense to me. I do not have a lot of link backs, but have great placment. There are many link generator sites out there so it would be easy to flood the search engine with backlinks so I dont see the point. My sites are discussed many times on pub boards, and yet they do not show up as back links. I have posted links to my site here, but those are rarly credited as back links.

I think the big 4 I talked about above are far more important.
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - September 07 2007 :  20:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonder if i could dig up this old thread again as i aint happy .

Ok the user manual dedicates errr ONE who page to SEO out of 200+pages so i do consider it a bit light on info.

Now Vpsp seems to deal well with products metas , either in catagory or even individual products it does well in pulling info and creating metas individul to that product an so on .

However i still cant find any way to personalise the metas on either pages if i make my own use
<%shoppageheader%> to standardise the look.

I thought maybe an include would work aka...
<!-- #include file="metas/homemeta.html" -->
but its overwritten still by the <%shoppageheader%> metas !!grrrr

Take for example the VPASP site ....heres their metas , i would expect this as standard , out of the box ! changeable for each and every page if vpasp were going to tke SEO seriously , and for the lifeof me i cant even get close

<title>Hosting Homepage</title>
<meta name="keywords" content="VP-ASP,VPASP,shopping cart software, ecommerce solution, e-commerce,hosting, web hosting, e-commerce hosting" />
<meta name="title" content="Hosting Homepage" />
<meta name="description" content="VP-ASP web hosting - specially tailored hosting for e-commerce shopping sites." />
<meta name="robots" content="all" />
<meta name="googlebot" content="index, follow" />
<meta name="rating" content="General" />
<meta name="revisit-after" content="2 Days" />
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 07 2007 :  20:53:28  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
on 6.5, content pages set up the keywords, description, and windows title bar according to the content records, so you can have those things set per page out of the box

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - September 08 2007 :  07:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Content pages

According to manual content pages metas created and info pulled from following............
Title tag is pulled from message field
Description tag is pulled from message2
Keywords tag is pulled from other1 field

now that aint happening for me so i will contact support .... YES ..dynamic titles are turned on and eveyrhtings in place as per manual!

Even though if this was working its pretty clear the metas are pretty bare . Take some of the metas in the vpasp site they are not standard in vpasp .
<meta name="robots" content="all" />
<meta name="googlebot" content="index, follow" />
<meta name="rating" content="General" />
<meta name="revisit-after" content="2 Days" />

Yes i can add those to my shoppage header and make them visable but they will be the SAME for every page on the site which defeats the point of having them , metas are there to help Search engines and consistent unchanging metas dont help !

PAUL
Go to Top of Page

Scooter
VP-CART New User

USA
102 Posts

Posted - October 09 2007 :  23:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[removed by support]

S.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - October 10 2007 :  21:42:15  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Scooter and everyone,

Please try not to flame other forum users. The forum is provided to give everyone a chance to ask questions and seek assistance.

To ensure the atmosphere is kept friendly we ask that if you do not agree with what someone has posted, answer reasonably.

Thanks and happy posting!

Cam
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - October 11 2007 :  18:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oi you scoot , what you been saying ! supports deleted it so i can even defend or abuse you back
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 12 2007 :  06:13:08  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
getting back to the subject in hand....
I think the keywords being set for the content pages is relatively new; maybe even only on 6.50.1, I think before that they weren't being set.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: