Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.50 Features and Facilities
 Is a ASP.Net migration planned?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

garthbrown
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - February 05 2007 :  12:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been using VP-ASP for a couple years now. It has met my needs and I enjoy working with it. However, I am becoming concerned about developers' future with Classic ASP.

I won't get into the Classic VS .Net argument. I can get Classic to do everything that .Net does (even though SOAP services take a little longer).

I also won't get into "How long will MS support Classic?" It will probably be around for a while.

My concern surrounds developers. When I am short of time and I need to get outside developers, I am finding it harder to find people willing to work with Classic. I am even finding that developers with strong Classic skills are becoming as expensive as .Net developers. This seems to be a recent change in the market.

I am also becoming reluctant to recommend VP-ASP to fellow decision makers for fear that they will run in to the same issues.

My questions are:
A) Is a move to .Net planned?
B) If so, when?
C) Anyone else giving this any thought?

Thanks in advance.

Scooter
VP-CART New User

USA
102 Posts

Posted - February 05 2007 :  21:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One word, stability.

I work with ASP for little while now and have play with .NET but ASP much more stable than .NET IMHO.

It is way to go though.

S.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - February 05 2007 :  21:44:24  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Garth,

We are about to release version 6.50 in February of our shopping cart software which is built in classic ASP. Version 6.50 will have more features and functionality than almost any other cart, whether it be .NET, PHP or ASP. This is as a result of 7 years of evolution of the product.

The version after 6.50 however will certainly be a .NET package. The .NET release will not be ready for at least 12 to 18 months though as it will involve an entire re-build from the ground up to ensure that the many features in our current version are brought across.

I personally agree with Scooter in that .ASP is more stable than .NET currently. This will change however.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

garthbrown
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - July 19 2008 :  21:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Almost 18 months ago, I asked these questions. In the interim, .Net has matured, Classic ASP developers have become harder to find, and our business needs have grown.

So, I'll ask again:
A) Is a move to .Net planned?
B) If so, when?
C) Anyone else giving this any thought?
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - July 24 2008 :  00:11:31  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Garth,

We have been looking at .NET for a little while now and will be moving there eventually.

Version 700 will be classic ASP still as creating a .NET version will actually result in losing a huge amount of functionality. This is purely due to the amount of features and functionality in VPASP 650 and the time involved to recreate something like VPASP 650 in a different language.

We do now have our team trained up in .NET and have brought in some new .NET people though so things are slowly being done in the background although classic ASP is still the priority at this stage.

I cannot provide any timelines other than to say yes it is coming and no, I don't know when.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

webyhost
Starting Member

USA
35 Posts

Posted - February 27 2010 :  12:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7.0 just came out.
I am assuming the next version is .net.
Has a time line been established yet?
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - February 27 2010 :  16:03:27  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nothing as yet I am afraid.

We are still bedding down version 7.0 and once this has been done we will be looking at future directions.

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

cayars
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - January 03 2011 :  08:04:23  Show Profile  Visit cayars's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can we get an update on this topic? What is the current thought pattern on .NET?
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 04 2011 :  00:00:30  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Still no plans.

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00