Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 Combined shipping dimensions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

[email protected]
VP-CART New User

149 Posts

Posted - March 25 2013 :  14:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

Is there a function already built that I can call to find out the total shipping dimension of an order?

I need to estimate whether the order is likely to exceed 100 cm (on any dimension) and add an oversize charge.

Thanks,
Dustin

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - March 30 2013 :  04:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dustin, what shipping realtime do you use ?
Diego.
Go to Top of Page

[email protected]
VP-CART New User

149 Posts

Posted - April 01 2013 :  12:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The particular one I was focusing on was Canada Post.
Canada Post doesn''t seem to add in the oversize fee (when a package reaches over 100 cm in any dimension).

As it turns out, even if I have an item that exceeds 100 cm by itself, Canada Post still wouldn''t add the oversize fee to the real time quote and we were losing out each time a customer had an order that had the oversize fee applied.

So as a solution, I created a little calculation system that estimates the probability of an order being subjected to the oversize fee (so orders under 100 cm are still free of the oversize charge but the ones that have a 99% or better chance of reaching over 100 cm in height, width, or length will get the oversize charge added to the shipping quote)

From the customer''s side, it functions the same as it always has and the quote is still fairly quick to come up.

So, I managed to band-aid the solution.

Thanks Diego
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00