Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 New Open Source VS Hosted
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

theringlord
VP-CART New User

107 Posts

Posted - December 05 2012 :  22:10:34  Show Profile  Visit theringlord's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It feels like Vpasp is no longer focusing on their open source business. But rather the new features are going to hosted solutions only. First the mobile only went into the SAAS and now the new one page checkout.
Will the direction of VPasp (rather the rebranded vpcart) be more of a SAAS solution?
Do you have a new version of open source planned? With an ETA and features list?
I've been using your open source for many many many years and the conversion to another version will take years of detailed planning. Please provide any info you can.
I'm not opposeed to SAAS - I use it for almost everything else I do. I just need to know the life expectancy of the open source or planned end date.

If you are not ready to post publicly please email me directly. You may delete this post if you choose.

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - December 06 2012 :  01:18:26  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

Thank you for providing us with your thoughts.

I assure you that our energies go into both sides of the business equally. The one page checkout is available to both open source and Business Ready Plan customers. The reason we are selling it as a paid add-on is because of the amount of resources we put into creating it and the complexity of installing it into earlier versions of the software.

As for mobile, we developed this specifically for stores hosted on our servers. There has simply not been enough demand for us to warrant spending the time and resources on creating a version of the mobile module for our open source customers.

We do not plan to cease with our open source software in the near future and version 8 will be available as both an open source and a hosted offering.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards

Gareth
VP-ASP

Go to Top of Page

theringlord
VP-CART New User

107 Posts

Posted - December 06 2012 :  10:49:19  Show Profile  Visit theringlord's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does your hosted solution allow open source code tweaks made by the customer? If not then its not an option for us - too many little things I've had to tweak over the years to make the code work for us.

Do you have an ETA on 8.0?
Do you have a feature list yet?

Are you still planning on coding in asp? Does this hold a site back because its a dead language?

There has been so much change and growth of the feel of the internet in the past 12 months - SAAS, mobile, social and other aspects. I need to know for my customers when I can provide some innovation on our site that they will value.
Go to Top of Page

theringlord
VP-CART New User

107 Posts

Posted - December 22 2012 :  14:43:46  Show Profile  Visit theringlord's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bump?
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - December 23 2012 :  06:02:42  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

We do not have an ETA nor do we have a finished features list unfortunately.

Our hosted options are still open source. One of VPASP's strengths is that unlike many other solutions you do have full access to the source to make whatever changes your business needs.

We are now using CSS and AJAX for our front layer in version 8 so the features you see in other packages are available in ours as well as while the core engine room code is ASP the presentation layer takes full advantage of the funky new features and functionality available today.

Hope this helps!

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp

Did you know VPASP now offers premium Cloud based e-commerce web hosting?

Ask me for more details on how we can help you with a complete solution to your
online needs.
Go to Top of Page

manilow
VP-CART New User

France
134 Posts

Posted - December 31 2012 :  03:48:42  Show Profile  Visit manilow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cam,

I'm wondering whether classic ASP will be maintained on the long run or if it's going to be replaced by ASP.NET.

Which evolutions do you forsee in this perspective ? For example, do you plan a progressive conversion? I think that programming in ASP.NET may improve the shopping cart's performance without the need of complete recoding.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

I wish a very good start of 2013 to everyone.

Kind regards,

Erik
www.aquathermia.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00