Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Announcements
 Reverse Image Search
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 26 2012 :  18:39:13  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I put it into the announcements section.

I only found out today (sorry if it's been around for ages but I only got told about it today; never heard of it before) that you can do reverse image searches on google:
http://www.google.com/insidesearch/features/images/searchbyimage.html

this isn't a normal image search (ie where you type in some text and get back relevant images), instead it's the other way around; you right click an image and then get google to search for similar/related images (ie no text search involved, it just uses picture recognition techniques etc).

Uses include things like:
1) Right click on your product images or your logo image from your site, choose search-google-with-this-image, then see what comes up; it's a good way to see if someone's ripping off your images/logo, or who links to your site using an out of date logo etc etc.
2) Right click your facebook pictures (or drag+drop/copy/paste pictures from your pc) to see pictures of people that google thinks looks like you.

Hours of fun/entertainment, and a handy copyright/site/business investigation tool too.

It's basically just a google browser extension, but it's absolutely awesome.

Apparently it was released in October 2011, but I'd never heard of it before today, and nobody I know knew it existed either, which is strange because it's such a cool function that you'd have thought it would have gone viral and that everyone would know about it.

I knew there are some smartphone apps that do similar things (take pictures of landmarks and press a button to see if the web/app can find out what it is etc), but didn't know until today that google lets you do this kind of stuff with any image on the web or on your pc simply via a normal browser.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on June 26 2012 19:01:02

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - July 07 2012 :  00:58:55  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hadn't heard about this either. Many thanks Simon!

Regards,
Eric Lammers
www.KrackMedia.com
Building More Than Web Sites . . . Building a Web Presence
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00