Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 Bulk Import Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - March 04 2012 :  15:42:07  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a table that was created for custom pages used on my site.

Essentially the custom pages allow dropdown menus to be relational, so that the choice made in menu 1 determines what options are then available in menu 2, etc.

Because of this, a custom table I have that holds all these relationships has 3 columns:
IDNumber (performs the same as CatalogID)
CableID (The common item in menu 1 that will allow many choices in menu 2)
ConnectorID (The list of items that will appear in Menu 2 if a certain CableID choice is made in menu 1)

What I'm finding is this; When I export this table in order to add a new item to the CableID column, because this column repeats the same CableID part # about 80 times in this table (1 time for every relationship it has to an item in the ConnectorID column), it seems my only option in order to CHANGE the CableID Part # and then Import this table back to ADD this new list is I have to manually change every IDnumber in the list 1 by 1, because it is the only field I can choose here for the Match Field in the Import function.

Because CableID is the same part # over and over, I can't choose this column for match as it will keep overwriting the update with the next line item that has the same Part#.

I can't choose ConnectorID, as this part # shows up many times in the whole table.

It seems the only way Import will recognize a new item in this list is with a new IDNumber, but this means I have to sit there in a TXT or CSV file and manually eneter every new IDNumber by hand, which is amazingly time consuming.

Am I missing something that will allow automatic new IDNumbers to get created, or if this only possible when items in the rest of your columns are all different and not the same?

Redco Audio
www.redco.com

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - March 13 2012 :  07:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris,

the best way round this should have been with 2 tables eg.

1. Cables with fields:
Cabid - autonumber
CabDesc - text
Conns - multivalue (stores a comma separated list of connectors)

2. Connectors with fields
ConnId - autonumber
ConnDesc - text

You can then display the Connectors associated with the Cable Id and any time you add a Cable you can put in the relevant connectors in one field.

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - March 14 2012 :  04:36:53  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good thought. Not being a programmer, I wasn't aware I could have more than one value per table cell, as in the comma delimited list you mentioned, in a table like that.

Perhaps I can try and retrofit this.

Thanks,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - March 27 2012 :  07:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris I missed your comment on this earlier and I should have realised that I was too quick to post. I am so used to using Access databases that I didn't think long enough on this. My apologies.
Ideally for something like this you would have 3 tables like the products, categories and prodcategories tables as you said. However, I'm sure there could be a way of using a field in the products table to store the values of the connectors (like the level3 field for categories for import and conversion) and then create a convertCableproducts file (modify the convertproducts file) to store the values in a single table. It would certainly take all the hard work out of inputting all the individual records any time you added another cable product.

Leave this with me and I'll see if I can get something to work, I may have a little spare time on my hands over the next couple of weeks and I'll keep you posted.
Regards
Carrol
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - March 29 2012 :  22:27:36  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carrol,

I really appreciate the 2nd look. Not being a programmer myself certainly limits my options on my own. While I'm sure your time is quite valuable, whatever help you can offer is a big help to me. I'm happy to provide any info you may need.

Thanks again,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - March 30 2012 :  06:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris,

I have created a working version of what you need.
Get in touch and I can discuss the details.

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - March 30 2012 :  07:20:04  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much. Please email me at [email protected] at your leisure.

Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00