Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Announcements
 Image Watermarks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - April 29 2010 :  08:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the fourth time today I have visited a website and been really put off by obtrusive watermarking on images throughout the site. It's a pet hate of mine and in my opinion watermarks are a no no. One of the most important parts of selling a product is the appearance and quality of the product image so that the customer can see clearly before they buy. As many of the products on our site were photographed by myself, I wanted to protect them from being copied and used by other sites. For the past 3 years I have been using the following Javascript code to stop the 'right click to download' mouse event. Just add the code to shoppageheader.htm before the </head> tag

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">
<!--
var message="These images are copyrighted.\n All Rights Reserved";

function click(e) {
if (document.all) {
if (event.button == 2) {
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
if (document.layers) {
if (e.which == 3) {
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
}
if (document.layers) {
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
}
document.onmousedown=click;
// -->
</script>

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk

Edited by - carfin on April 29 2010 09:00:36

Doug Page
VP-CART New User

Canada
85 Posts

Posted - April 29 2010 :  16:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as you realize that this only stops the average computer user and is very easy to circumvent.
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - April 29 2010 :  18:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I am aware of this, and for anyone who has the knowledge and is determined to steal a few images of electrical products it's not a huge deal. However, I am also a watercolour artist and I would never post good quality high res images of my work on the web. If for some reason I had to though, they would be far better protected.

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

windsurfer
VP-CART New User

Canada
91 Posts

Posted - April 30 2010 :  07:28:17  Show Profile  Visit windsurfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Carol
I hate to tell you but i just downloaded and copied the file called ABA041[1].jpg which is a lightbulb from your site and it was easy as pie. There is no way to protect yourself from people grabbing your images.
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - April 30 2010 :  09:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
windsurfer,
there are ways to fully protect your images, especially for photographers and artists, but I'm employed by a company that sells mainly generic electrical accessories (as you now know) and I only wanted to stop the 'average' computer user from copying the images for private use. I know of at least 5 other ways of getting an image from a site but my job title for this company is as a graphic designer not a web image copyright security expert, however if it was my own company it would be different.

Anyway, my main point was that some image watermarks are really obtrusive and put me off viewing anything more on that site.

Regards,

Carrol

ps As my user name may suggest I am by no means a VP-ASP expert - I have just helped out a lot with customising questions
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00