Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 Severe performance hit - what have I done
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thomasBaine
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - March 21 2010 :  02:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,
My store holds about 800 products (downloadable pdf files) divided over 20 categories (apprentice qualifications/courses). Some categories hold 10 products, others hold around 80.

When I tested the system with 5 products in a single category, everything was fine - clicking on the category's name in shopDisplayCategories.asp gave an almost immediate display in shopdisplayProducts.asp.

After adding a further 80 products to this category, the display (10 products/page) was noticeable slower - clicking between pages was also a bit slow and the cart also seemed sluggish.

After adding all the 800 products, the performance from the category to the product page is treacle, with the scripttimeout frequently being triggered.

The sql call that seems to be involved is:
SELECT *
FROM products AS p, prodcategories AS cc, categories AS c
WHERE (((cc.intCatalogId)=[p].[CatalogId]) AND ((cc.intcategoryid)=[c].[categoryid]) AND ((p.[ccategory])=8)) OR (((p.[subcategoryid])=8) AND ((p.[hide])=0) AND ((p.customermatch) Is Null Or (p.customermatch)='') AND ((p.loggedin)=False Or (p.loggedin) Is Null) AND ((c.customermatch) Is Null Or (c.customermatch)='') AND ((c.loggedin)=False Or (c.loggedin) Is Null))
ORDER BY p.ccode;

Even running this "manually" in the database (Access) generates a slow response.

Is there a configuration setting I have neglected to turn on/change from the default setting? The performance is so bad that I can't let this store go into production so any assistance would be gratefully accepted.

Cheers/Bruce

Rudi
VP-CART New User

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - March 21 2010 :  07:14:26  Show Profile  Visit Rudi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Possibly the use of Access database could be your problem - try MYSQL or MSSQL databse instead and you will notice much better performance

Rudi
Go to Top of Page

thomasBaine
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - March 21 2010 :  20:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rudi

Possibly the use of Access database could be your problem - try MYSQL or MSSQL databse instead and you will notice much better performance

Rudi

Thanks for the response Rudi - I'm sure performance might be improved, but I'm surprised that such a relatively light load (in terms of product number) is causing such a hit on performance - I've used Access for several projects and never come across this problem before - which is why I think the problem lies with a configuration issue that I haven't addressed rather than the database.
Cheers/Bruce
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 21 2010 :  22:04:51  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce

As a test can you please try switching the left menu category flyout off so it just displays the top level categories.

We are working on an improvement for this and will be including it the first service pac.

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 21 2010 :  22:13:34  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As a follow up are you using the very latest version? There have been some tweaks posted on our updates page to help speed up the system.

http://helpnotes.vpasp.com/shopexd.asp?id=958#958

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

thomasBaine
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - March 21 2010 :  22:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cam for your response.

The left menu bit is not being used as such - I use the mini-cart only on the rhs of my pages. I'll disable the minicart altogether and re-test.

My version is reporting 2010/03/15

Cheers/Bruce
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 21 2010 :  22:34:24  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weird. Can you post in our helpdesk and I will have one of the senior development team have a look for you.

https://helpdesk.vpasp.com

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

thomasBaine
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - March 23 2010 :  06:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fixed by the HelpDesk people - thanks for the quick service.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 23 2010 :  06:24:13  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce,

Great to hear the dev team were able to assist.

For anyone else who is interested the guys did find a bug and it will be posted in the fixes page shortly.

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00