Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 How to change the url "shopdisplayproducts?page=2"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trial_and_Error
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - April 09 2009 :  17:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

When I go to page 2 in my shopdisplayproducts.asp page, the url is always changing to shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=2 instead of shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=x&cat=xxxxx

Is there any possibility to change the link for the higher page to shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=x&page=2?

In which routine the url is generated when I press the link for page2 below the page?

Any help is welcome

Trial and error

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 10 2009 :  04:56:16  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a pretty big task to program the relevant logic to achieve what you're after because you need to regenerate the query and there are also other arguments which might be in there and you also need to make sure it doesn't effect admin paging, and there are lots of other issues too.

What you're after is this:
BYZ116 - Enhanced Paging/Searching for VPASP:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=317&opu=n

Which has/keeps the full argument list with the page arguments plus lots of other stuff such as optionally showing hit-categories as well as hit-products on keyword searches.

It's also available within this bigger bundle:

BYZ146 - VPASP SEO Bundle:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=343&opu=n

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

Trial_and_Error
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - April 10 2009 :  11:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Simon,

Thanks for responding.

I have looked at the demo BYZ116 and I suppose that it is able to do what I want.

The reason why I want to change the url to shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=x instead of shopdisplayproducts?page=2 is that I am using a tree menu with a marker to indicate the shopper exactly where he is located : the corresponding link in the menu is colored red if he is at the corresponding category. This menu is interpreting the url's to find out if a link needs to be colored red or not. The menu works fine everywhere through my site except when it comes to the higher pages of a category.

At the demo, I see that the url which is created by BYZ contains more characters after "id=x", so I will try to find out this evening if this will have an influence on the proper functionning of my menu. The trigger on my menu is, as far as I'm aware, only based on shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=x without additional characters behind.

I suppose the BYZ addon's are simple to install and only needs some of the corresponding asp pages to be replaced?

Trial and error
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 10 2009 :  13:03:42  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It depends on what your menu code does; in theory it should do a request for the id argument, eg:
mycategory=request("id")
(but with cleaning done too hopefully)
in which case it doesn't matter if it has additional arguments in the url.

For the amount of things that it does, it's relatively simple to install, but you definitely need to make sure you take backups before you change any files so that if you have any problems then you can revert back to how it was and then contact us to ask about any problems you had.
(ie keep a safe local copy of pre-changed and post-changed files in 2 separate folders, so that you can upload the original version or the new version).
It's mostly new files but you'll also need to change existing files; it's those changed ones that you need to have old+new copies of for reference/uploading.

The complexity of the installation/configuration will depend on the kind of searches and mini-forms that you already have/use.

It's a big change to do just for the menu logic though, so although it might be your solution for the menu aspect as a lucky side-effect, I'd consider that it's more relevant/intended for customers to find what they want easier and for search engines to list your page2+ urls.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)