Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Comments about VP-ASP
 Sort & update "issues"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Driftmaster
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - August 26 2008 :  19:34:00  Show Profile  Visit Driftmaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I started working with VP-ASP 6.5 in mid-May. I'm managing a site that has over 29,000 products. Here's a few of my observations:

I notice that it seems to be quite time-consuming to put a product into the correct category once it is initially loaded into the wrong category. I can't find a faster way to do this than to go to that part number (ccode), click the edit button, make any text or price adjustments necessary, then scroll down the category list to the correct one, and then click the "Add Category" button. You have to "Add" one before you can delete the incorrect one. Then, you wait for the screen to change and the graphics to load, then click the "Delete" button to remove the incorrect category.

I am repricing and correcting EVERYTHING with this particular site because the previous managers could not keep up with it and, consequently, there is a huge amount of errors.

This is ridiculously slow.

Initially, I thought that if I went into "Advanced Edit", I could simply put in the correct category number to replace the previous one. I discovered, however, that this doesn't function quite correctly, as it does not remove the product from the first one. (try this, then go back into standard edit, and click the edit button for that sku and you will see that it remains unchanged)

This is unfortunate because I have already been working on this since mid-May and I'm about halfway through.

I also see that the "CatalogID", a meaningless number in my opinion, is what is used to sort records initially. And, you cannot choose to do a bulk edit with only the sku/part number and another desired field, such as weight. I have to correctly enter in the weights for these products and this would be quite helpful.

If product category could be easily changed, this would be a huge time-saver. And, if the products were sorted by ccode and then have the ability to choose any other fields to bulk update, this also would be a huge time saver. As it is, I expect I'll be working on this project for quite some time to come.

If I've overlooked something, please let me know. I know that there's "Advanced Bulk Update", but it is (1) very confusing and there's not much documentation available to get the full grasp of the multiple-choice options. Any tips would be welcome.

1 is lonely number, but the only number I like.

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 06 2008 :  04:58:00  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've got a bulk product updater which might help for some of those aspects:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=293&opu=n

It depends on what you want to do as to whether that's relevant or not. It's different to the vpasp bulk-updater, in that with our one you specify your search criteria for what products you want to change (eg change all products starting with "a" which are in category "b" etc) and you specify what you want the change to be (eg increase price by 10%), and then press a button to do it. It also has a trial-run mode so you can see what records are effected and what the results would be before you run it in live/update mode.

So, for some things it's very relevant/useful, for other things it's irrelevant.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)