|Open Source Shopping Cart vs Hosted Shopping Cart|
Tuesday, February 11, 2014
Hosted Solution (Business Ready Plan)
- No technical knowledge required
- You can concentrate on running your business rather than fiddling around with a shopping cart
- Your store is very unlikely to crash or suffer from security compromises
- Latest versions and security updates automatically applied
- Cost - Over time, you will pay more than if you buy the open-source shopping cart outright (but bear in mind you are getting a no hassle solution rather than spending time setting it up yourself and time = money).
- Less option for customisation – This is no problem if you have a straight forward store selling normal products but if you have a niche business model with unique business rules you will require a customised open source shopping cart. The Business Ready Plans can be customised to a certain extent but stores that require heavy modification would be better using the open source solution.
- Long Contracts – Other hosted solutions can tie you in for long contracts or charge you exit fees, with the Business Ready Plan there is no minimum contract, you can leave at any time and if you want to take your store with you, you simply purchase the software and take your store with you.
- Hidden Fees – There are no hidden fees (transaction fees, bandwidth usage etc) with the VP-ASP Hosted Solution unlike other hosted shopping carts. You simply pay the flat monthly fee and nothing more.
Open Source Shopping Cart Software
- The main advantages of using an open source cart is that you have complete control of the design and functionality, the only limitation is your imagination and technical know-how.
- You own the store – Once you have paid for and set up the cart, the store is yours to keep forever.
- You can host yourself – If you have your own server you can host your cart yourself and save on hosting fees.
- Higher set up cost
- Cost of ongoing support can add up
- It is up to you to keep on top of latest versions and security updates