Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-Cart Hosting
 The Microsoft.com/BIZSpark program
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SQLDUDE1
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - April 06 2013 :  00:54:12  Show Profile  Visit SQLDUDE1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just got approved for the Microsoft BIZSpark Developer Program which is not only 100% FREE but actually provides you with a 2-YEAR MSDN License for over 50 products, using the full license model. Anyone from ANY country can qualify as long as you have been in business LESS THAN 5 years and do less than $1,000,000 a year (USD). (Profits of Sales? Not sure, but does it mater? They actually do not even differentiate. And the BEST PART? You get a FREE Azure hosting account for up to $2,500 a month in usage credits, which is just a LOT of system cycles. Tons of storage, bandwidth, software and cycles. Like a kid in a candy store. http://www.microsoft.com/BIZspark for more info. Sounded too good to be true but so far it is more than expected. You have to make sure that there is a CLUSTERED INDEX for each and every table however, before it will run on Azure SQL 2012. Still migrating, but will keep you all posted. Go for it.

SQLDUDE1
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - April 06 2013 :  00:56:28  Show Profile  Visit SQLDUDE1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh and a great migration tool is available from http://www.devart.com Migrates structures, data contents, indexes and the whole works. And a lot cheaper than RedGate Software equivalents.
Go to Top of Page

SQLDUDE1
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - April 06 2013 :  03:00:33  Show Profile  Visit SQLDUDE1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Turns out that running classic ASP 3.0 on Windows Azure requires a few little workarounds like this one which I will post as I discover them for the benefit of mankind (and womankind) in general: Hide threads Keyboard Shortcuts

Richard 5:07 am on September 20, 2011 Reply

Running Classic ASP on Azure

By default, classic asp is not enabled on a Windows Azure Web Role. You can easily install it with a startup task:

1. Create a Startup.cmd file in your ASP.NET project.

2. By default text files are saved as ‘Unicode (UTF-8 with signature) – Codepage 65001#8242;. Unfortunatly this seems to add an extra unwanted character to the start of the file, which prevents the script form being run. Go to ‘Advanced Save Options…’ in the file menu of Visual Studio, and ‘US-ASCII – Codepage 20127#8242;.

3. On the properties of this file, set ‘Copy to Output Directory’ to ‘Copy if newer’.

4. Add this line to the file:
start /w pkgmgr /iu:IIS-ASP
5. Modify your ServiceDefinition file, to add the startup task:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ServiceDefinition name="ClassicASPonAzure" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ServiceHosting/2008/10/ServiceDefinition">
<WebRole name="WebRole1" vmsize="ExtraSmall">
<Startup>
<Task commandLine="Startup.cmd" executionContext="elevated" taskType="simple" />
</Startup>
6. Publish your instance, and you should have classic ASP enabled.

Go to Top of Page

SQLDUDE1
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - April 06 2013 :  13:17:49  Show Profile  Visit SQLDUDE1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All righty then. Phase One of the Migration of VPASP 7.0 dev site to Microsoft Azure is completed. That is the easy part though. I used the first connection string just below here which is ODBC and I will check out the next two later this week.

Driver={SQL Server Native Client 10.0};Server=tcp:[serverName].database.windows.net;
Database=myDataBase;Uid=[LoginForDb]@[serverName];Pwd=myPassword;Encrypt=yes;
'' C:\DWASFiles\Sites\ChipBuyers\VirtualDirectory0\site\wwwroot\installation\default.asp
Use ''username@servername'' for the User ID parameter. Servername is the servername portion of the server parameter, i e ''myNamedServer'' of tcp:myNamedServer.database.windows.net

Provider=SQLNCLI10;Password=myPassword;User ID=[username]@[servername];
Initial Catalog=databasename;Data Source=tcp:[servername].database.windows.net;

Provider=SQLNCLI11;Password=myPassword;User ID=[username]@[servername];
Initial Catalog=databasename;Data Source=tcp:[servername].database.windows.net;

And even considering that I am hosting the ASP 3.0 pages on a non-Azure Virtual Server at one site and of course, the SQL Azure DB on yet another Microsoft BIZSpark site, the performance improvement is just immense. And I have geo-redundancy implemented as part of the Azure plan, too. Getting the Classic ASP 3.0 to run correctly on a native Azure website is proving to be just a tad problematic however. Here is how Azure sets up the path to your file system: C:\DWASFiles\Sites\[Insert your WebServerPrefix]\VirtualDirectory0\site\wwwroot\default.asp Maybe I will put in a request for VPASP Support if enough people are interested in using Azure SQL as their backend at a minimum or even asking for documentation as to how to get Classic ASP 3.0 to run correctly on an Azure Web platform. More postings to come later. This would really extend the life of both the entire VPASP product line and give a very nice upgrade path for just the backend migration to using an Azure SQL 2012 geo-redundant and load balanced environment. There are 4 sets of Azure data centers to choose from USA East and West Coast, Asia Pacific, and Europe. And there is nothing preventing you from having 4 copies of your site running on 4 different Geo-located Data Centers, each with geo-redundancy inside or outside of the local Geo-Zone and load balancing.
Go to Top of Page

SQLDUDE1
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - April 06 2013 :  15:41:53  Show Profile  Visit SQLDUDE1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is how you can assess whether or not you have any "HEAPS" in your non-Azure SQL Server DB. HEAPS are just tables without a Clustered Index which ending up causing very slow Table Scans from top to bottom searching for the required record since there is no appropriate index available. SQL Azure will not permit such tables to be used on their systems due to slow performance issues.

Run this query:

DISTINCT [TABLE] = OBJECT_NAME(OBJECT_ID)
FROM SYS.INDEXES
WHERE INDEX_ID = 0
AND OBJECTPROPERTY(OBJECT_ID,''IsUserTable'') = 1
ORDER BY [TABLE]

Then you would add a PRIMARY CLUSTERED KEY using a statement something like this:

/****** Object: Index [pk_customers] Script Date: 4/6/2013 3:40:21 PM ******/
ALTER TABLE [dbo].[customers] ADD CONSTRAINT [pk_customers] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
(
[contactid] ASC
)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = ON, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON)
GO
Go to Top of Page

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  03:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any links that I can try for the site you have setup there ?
diego.
Go to Top of Page

mjust
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  01:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Microsoft BIZSpark Developer Program which is not only 100% FREE but actually provides you with a 2-YEAR MSDN License for over 50 products, using the full license model.
Go to Top of Page

tomfor
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - September 01 2020 :  06:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been working with Microsoft BIZSpark for over two years now. If you need minimal functionality, then you can get by with the free version. I work with the paid version, so it is more convenient for me to manage my site https://www.rocketbags.co.uk/.

Edited by - tomfor on September 02 2020 02:07:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00