Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Problem with coupons and sales tax
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chris
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - October 16 2002 :  14:57:13  Show Profile  Visit chris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi - we want to use coupons and found that they are calculated after tax - is there a simple way that they can be done before tax?

rgards all
Chris

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - June 05 2004 :  18:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have observed the same problem. It is causing immediate pains as I am running a coupon promotion right now that is calculating incorrectly. Specifically, the tax is calculated on the pre-discount total, so the tax is higher than it should be. Chris, did you find the solution? Has anyone else observed or solved this problem?

Nathan

Go to Top of Page

calliope
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - October 23 2004 :  11:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bump. I also just discovered this and need help. This is a major flaw as it is not honest to charge tax on before-discount amount.

Go to Top of Page

calliope
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - October 23 2004 :  17:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
updae: emailed support and, as always, they were very quick to respond with an update. Yet another example of great customer service. Kudos!

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - October 23 2004 :  22:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, this is one of the bugs I found. Support quickly sent me a new file and everything was fixed. Perhaps they sent you the same file that they sent me 4 1/2 months ago. Kudos to you for finding it.

How many other store owners out there have this problem but have not noticed it? If their customers find it first, it will damage the reputation of their stores. After all, its "not honest to charge tax on before-discount amount."

How many store owners have to find this the hard way? I found it because I personally perform testing on every feature before I enable it on my public site because I no longer trust everything to work. How many store owners trust the product and turn on the feature without testing it fully themselves? Perhaps they don't realize further testing is needed.

Yes, support acts very quickly to help each individual when the individual stumbles on the problem, so yes, support deserves kudos for this. Support is amazingly responsive to direct questions. However much better support would be acheived for these known problems by taking a proactive approach.

Support, please add such items to the bug list and give email notification to store owners so they can implement the fix you already have on hand.

Go to Top of Page

calliope
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - October 25 2004 :  10:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know VPASP has a do-not-email policy. Maybe they should have an opt-in option to receive email when flaws/fixex are found.
My 2 cents.

Go to Top of Page

eabrams
VP-CART New User

USA
72 Posts

Posted - October 26 2004 :  16:15:07  Show Profile  Visit eabrams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found the bug back in July and added some code to shoptax.asp to resolve the problem...

go to www.spws.net for my email.
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - December 28 2004 :  22:48:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Follow-up:

This bug propogated to version 5.5, but has since received official notice in the November 1 V5.50 Bug Fixes package available here:
http://www.vpasp.com/sales/addons550.asp

I haven't tested this fix yet, but I'm assuming it works.

The bug doesn't appear to be listed in the official bug listing for version 5.5:
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/info/faq_vpasp550issues.htm

It should be listed in the faq with a comment as to which bug fixes package fixes it. That way, a shop owner can determine whether a particular patch is relevant to them or not.

Sorry, I don't think this helps version 5.0 or earlier shop owners. You'll need to contact Support directly and ask for the solution.

Still, this is a step in the right direction!

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - December 29 2004 :  20:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Further Follow-up:

I have now tested this fix and it does work, but it depends on a few cart config values being set in a certain way:

xtaxexcludeproducts = blank (unused)
xtaxexcludeproductsdb= blank (unused)
xtaxfreeproducts != "Yes"

Background:
At first, it did not work for me because my xtaxexcludeproducts happened to be set to 99999...I'm not sure why.

To figure this out, I spent a lot of time digging through this code, so I can answer more detailed questions about it until I forget what I learned. ;-)

Go to Top of Page

shopcomputer
VP-CART New User

USA
57 Posts

Posted - December 29 2004 :  21:12:00  Show Profile  Visit shopcomputer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What files did they send you, I asked support for the fix, this was the reply
Hi,

This fix can be downloaded from http://www.vpasp.com/sales/addons550.asp

It is part of the VP-ASP 5.50 fix package.

Trent Kershaw
VP-ASP Support

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - December 29 2004 :  21:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What files did they send you, I asked support for the fix, this was the reply...

I've created a new post on the topic located here:
http://www.vpcart.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3358

Trent is correct for Version 5.50. The fix package solves the issue as long as you aren't selling tax-free gift certificates (which is standard) or preventing tax on other products.

For 5.0, Howard sent me minor mods to two files:
shopcartformat.asp
shopformatorder.asp
I think mods to shoptax.asp might also be in order based on input I just received from Radek Rekas (VP-ASP support). I'm not looking at 5.0 anymore since I just completed my upgrade to 5.50.

Go to Top of Page

shopcomputer
VP-CART New User

USA
57 Posts

Posted - December 29 2004 :  23:39:27  Show Profile  Visit shopcomputer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think at some point they will need to redo the entire order calculation logic. I had VPASP create me a customization to shopcheckout.asp, to provide a 3% discount for wire transfer payments. They were not able to get the tax to recalculate after that discount, so if a customer pays by wire transfer and receives a 3% discount, they still pay tax on the non-discounted total.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00